Saturday 1 October 2011

Refugee Simulation 24/09/11

ALL THE CHARACTERS NARRATED IN THE FOLLOWING NARRATION ARE FICTITIOUS AND DOES NOT HAVE ANY RELATIONSHIP ANY PERSON ALIVE OR DEAD.


                      “All of you come in quickly. Quickly! Quickly! Hurry! I have just returned from the neighbouring village where the rebels have taken control. It is not a pretty sight to see my friends……..” said a man in weird accent. “BOOM” the wall which was beside me was no longer there. Smoke came in from all direction. All of us in there room were shaken to the roots by the sudden events. 10 armed soldiers came out with their guns through the holes on the walls that they have just made. We were told to stand and line up quickly. Since I was near the wall I got pushed out. The sheer fear in me nailed me at the one position until the soldier came and yelled at me again. The surprise, fear, confusion and all other emotions were just too much to bear.
                     
                    We were told to take our ID cards out. The soldier demanded for the identity card before he let anyone in into another area. The soldier confiscated my watch too. I was the directed into another room where a soldier was yelling at the top of his voice about what we should do. He threw the pens and the forms for us to fill. Once the form was filled we were then told to get into groups of ten to nine people. Again abruptly and harshly. We were told to look for our family in the following morning. We were then given a large sheet of cloth about 5 feet by 10 feet. We were told to make tents out of it by laying the sheet on a wire.
Then the lights were switched off suddenly and we were told to get into our tents quickly. They told us to sleep quietly and that it was night time. There was no room for the legs. We had to practically squat to make enough room for everyone else in the group to sleep in. After a few seconds loud noises of people arguing was heard. Then a few minutes later, total silence. In that silence the sounds of distance dogs barking could be heard.
                   
                    Then the lights were switched on and we were told to wake up from our sleep since its morning. We were made to stand in 2 straight lines and the yelling of the soldiers began. That’s when we came to know that the loud noises last night was 2 people from the camps arguing about space. The soldier yelled at us saying that we are not supposed to do that.
                      
                    Then we were briefed on where the clinic, food area and school were at. We were also told to look for our family members. Those who needed medical attention went to the clinic and those who wanted to get some idea of the local language went to the school. People had to sell whatever that they had at that time that was usable to get bowls and plates for the food. When all this was going on, the lights were suddenly switched off and then the process which happened a day earlier repeated itself. Then another loud noise, “BOOOOOM”. This time we were told to wake up without the lights. All the soldiers made us kneel and put our hands on the head. We were asked if we had any illegal stuff. That is when we got to know that a bomb had just blasted near the camp area.

                      Then we were told to sleep again. A few minutes later the lights came up and a soldier yelled “The simulation is over”. That is when we all could give a sigh of relief.

                     The experience that I have just narrated is my experience as refugee in the Refugee Simulation Experience programme.  The simulation began at about 10.00 AM with the briefing by the organisers. We were all given a new identity using which we must undergo the simulation. Then we were told about the rules and we were brought to a higher floor where the simulation took place.


                             This simulation was an eye opener on what millions of people are going through in the world right now. It made me realise what suffering that they may be going through. It was only a one hour simulation for me but for many people around the world today, this is a real thing happening every day. I have just experience a tiny fraction of their lives which I have shared here. I am really grateful of what I have. My triple room seems very big to me now and the feeling that someone is waiting for you at home gives me a great sense of belonging and happiness. Through this experience I have learnt what refugees are going through every day. I hope to be able to contribute my help to the best of my ability once I grow up to be someone in the society where I can make decisions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment